Lifestyle and Restoration
Delicious hot milk blend
Just like grandma used to boil up for you with love and foresight. This nightly ritual holds great wisdom, incorporating one of the most nourishing foods: cow’s milk combined with herbs and spices. It can be integrated into your nighttime ritual as you prepare to sleep.
Dreaming of a good night’s sleep?
This Ayurvedic practice will help reduce stress so you can de-excite and gain a more restful and undisturbed sleep.
Override stress to promote sleep
When we are under stress, cortisol levels (stress-fighting hormones) do not decrease, rather, they keep us revved up throughout the night making it more challenging to wind down in the evening.
Builds vitality “Ojas”
Even if you sleep well, this nighttime blend will help build your “Ojas.” Ojas (OH-jas) is is a bio-celestial liquid substance that is important in Ayurvedic anatomy and physiology. It is known as the vital essence. It is considered to be the most refined by-product of digestion, and resides primarily in the heart.
In Ayurveda, vitality, immunity, vigour, reproduction, skin, sleep, digestion, spirituality and physical strength are all influenced by our reserve of ojas.
Building ojas is an art.
Perhaps one of the best ways to consistently build ojas is to eat a diet of fresh, unprocessed whole foods in the appropriate season. Further, there are certain foods and herbs in Ayurveda that are great ojas-builders. Milk is one of these.
The human brain has 100 billion neurons, each neuron connected to 10 thousand other neurons. Sitting on your shoulders is the most complicated object in the known universe.
Recipe: Golden milk blend with spices
- Boil 1/2 cup of un-homogenised cows milk + 1/2 cup of water until it foams up and is about to overflow out of the pot. You can adjust the ratio according to your taste and digestion – more creamy or more diluted (good for those who have trouble digesting dairy).
- After you turn the stove on, add 2 strands of saffron + 1 chopped medjool date + 3 crushed and peeled almonds. Boil until it fully foams up (and is about overflow out of the pot)
- After the milk has boiled, add:
- 1 pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 pinch of ginger powder
- 1 pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- ½-1tsp ghee
*Note: You can add or subtract the spices and the food items according to your taste and liking.
Stir well and enjoy!
When and how to drink
- Drink 30-45mins before bed
- Drink one cup of the golden milk each night for three months to rebuild ojas levels
- You can also have this in the morning approximately 45 minutes before breakfast
- It is also a great replacement to coffee
“But I don’t drink dairy”
If you don’t drink milk due to ethical reasons, that is absolutely fine and we respect that. You can use a plant-based milk as a substitute.
Sweet, nourishing dreams.